Music Society

Full Version: Everything Is A Remix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Remixing is a folk art but the techniques are the same ones used at any level of creation: copy, transform, and combine. You could even say that everything is a remix.

Liked it ? Try the link:

http://www.everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

because it is still not possible to import Vimeo videos.

unstung

(20-01-2013, 07:51 PM)Knob T link Wrote: [ -> ]copy, transform, and combine.

Well said, and that video is absolutely fascinating.  I tend not to work with electronic instruments as much as my good old guitar and voice, but even in that format, your statement very much holds true.  After all, there are only 12 different notes in a chromatic scale, and only 7 in a major scale, and people have been experimenting with different combinations of them for centuries.  I wonder if it is even truly possible to come up with a sequence of notes that has not already been used by someone, somewhere, at some time before.

They key, in my mind, is "transform", and it is one that sometimes can be forgotten.  Take things from around you, and by all means copy and combine them, but one must not forget to transform.  Truly create something different by changing at least one element, be it tempo or instrumentation or even just context.  That way, you are always creating something new, even if it is comprised of one or many things that already existed ;-)